Image source: Dreamstime.com
Electric colors have been in vogue in recent times, and this trend has brought neon night photography to the limelight. The aesthetics and retro-futuristic vibe are unbelievably attractive but not something that can be easily captured in the lens. From pictures lit by neon lights to images of neon signs, there are endless creative possibilities. If you are interested in capturing amazing neon nights, this article on neon night photography is the perfect place for you to start.
What Is Neon Night Photography?
Any kind of photography that features neon lights is referred to as neon night photography. It gets its name as these pictures are generally captured at night in low light conditions.
Neon can either be the focus as the subject of photography or light subjects in various interesting ways. It draws you into the world of colorful retro-futurism – there’s a hint of forward-looking feel along with a tinge of nostalgia.
Neon night photography adds a mysterious sense to photographs and instigates curiosity in viewers. It conveys a compelling story to the viewers, which is one of the main reasons why it has been gaining a lot of popularity on the internet.
Camera Settings for Capturing Amazing Neon Nights
You should know the right camera settings before you begin to click pictures of neon lights. This will save you a lot of time and maximize your chances of capturing a beautiful shot.
- Set your camera for a large aperture as it will help in clicking better photographs and using a fast shutter speed.
- Use a higher ISO camera setting to get sharper and brighter shots as you will be capturing in the dark.
- Adjust your camera’s color temperature manually. If not, your pictures may end up looking very artificial if the white balance is a bit off.
- Instead of JPEG, capture images in RAW. With this, you can maintain more image data, resulting in high-quality photographs. RAW images help you with better post-processing as well.
- Manual focus works better than autofocus in neon night photography. With autofocus, finding the subject is harder for the camera due to low light conditions. You may have to put in some effort with manual focus, but the photographs will be well worth your effort.
Neon Night Photography Tips
It can be exciting and fun to capture the magic of colorful neon lights against dark backgrounds. The results can turn out to be stunning. However, you need to know a few tips before you start with neon night photography.
- A fast lens (like a 50 mm f/1.4) is perfect if you want to avoid motion blurs. This can help you click better-lit and sharper pictures by focusing on shooting the subject instead of handling the intricate details.
- Avoid shooting the same angle in all photographs. Shoot from multiple angles. To do this, you just have to walk around the neon lights and find different promising angles to experiment with. This way, you can find out what works best.
- Shoot at the right time. The Blue Hour (fifteen minutes before sunrise and ten minutes after sunset) is perfect for neon night photography. This is the time when the objects are clearly visible and don’t overpower the subject.
- Consider using people as subjects as this can give incredible outcomes. You can fix the theme creatively depending on what the neon lights convey. For instance, you can make your subject sit beneath a light that indicates to ‘slow down’.
- One of the best tricks in neon night photography is making the most out of reflective surfaces. This can add more character to your image and be the differentiating factor between a good shot and a great shot. You can use a prism or reflective glass while shooting images. To make it simpler, you can just pour some water on the ground to create a reflective effect.
Recreate the Effect of Neon Night Indoors
Neon lights are quite easily accessible, while also being fun to shoot. Even if you don’t find it accessible, you can easily create the same effect indoors artificially. You can achieve this effect by using LED string lights, television screens, or color cellophane paper. You can even consider adding a combination of these ways to give your neon night photographs an interesting touch.
With these camera settings and tips, you can step up your neon night photography game and take your skills to newer heights. Experiment with this vibrant genre and learn something fresh and exciting!